Sandra L. Wagner
My mother Sandra L Wagner just passed away on March 4, 2010, due to pulmonary toxicity which we believe was caused by the use of Amiodarone 5 years prior. She was a young 66 years old. She had a fib and was prescribed this medication until one day she woke up and could not breathe. She was rushed to emergency where they first diagnosed her with Congestive Heart failure and COPD. They also took her off the Amiodarone as it never helped her and finally they gave her a pace maker. She left the hospital with oxygen and only had to take it periodically (about 3 yrs ago). Her lung capacity just kept getting worse and her pulminologist finally diagnosed Pulmonary Toxicity in January of 2010, and gave her steroids. In the meantime she just kept getting paler and could not breathe. She was rushed to the hospital on February 15, 2010. She then was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure and Pneumonia. She never had a chance because her lungs were so damaged. No one talked to us, we tried to pressure Doctors to give it to us straight until finally 1 day before she passed, they told us there was no hope. I NEVER want to see ANYONE have to go through what she did and what we did as a family. Her Doctors DID NOT indicate to her the extreme dangers of this drug nor did she know about the true side effects until she went to the Hospital and a Nurse told her about the drug.
I can’t bring her back and I cannot even begin to describe how much pain this has brought to me personally and to my family. This drug should be banned and outlawed. In no way, shape or form should the drug companies be making any money off of the drug nor should they be endangering human life!!! She even wrote to me on a sheet of paper as she could not talk that “this should not have happened this way.” I agree with her whole heartedly and I’m willing to do whatever it takes to fight this cause.
Thanks for reading my story.